This variant introduces rules for the D&D Adventure Game series.
As the standard rules work, it doesn’t feel like the D&D RPG, partly because the game punishes by not exploring. This gives the board game a kind of race mechanic, which is not our experience with D&D adventures. Instead, Ken and I came up with rules that add multiple monsters and a call-for-help mechanic. We also wanted fewer fights with more powerful monsters.
- This variant removes the penality for not exploring. Encounters don’t depend on exploration.
- Monsters call for help when wounded.
- Check for roaming monsters if none are on the board.
The health for monsters is also increased:
- It makes each combat a little more challenging.
- It also allows each monster to cry for help when wounded.
Players don’t get healing surges as a default power. Players earn healing surges now finding a designated healing tile.
The video below walks through the rules, explaining the goal for the variant. It also notes which event cards I kept in the game and which I left out. But keep them all if you like or select the ones you think are most thematic.